Dyson College of Arts and Sciences

Dyson Year in Review 2022-23

Dyson College of Arts and Sciences

Issue link: http://dysoncollege.uberflip.com/i/1506322

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 14 of 31

W W W . P A C E . E D U / D Y S O N 13 in his literature class of the novel At the Dark End of the Street by Danielle L. McGuire, a reinterpretation of the story about Rosa Parks and Recy Taylor during the civil rights movement. As a result, with so many extraordinary stories in the world wo h hearing, he has been moved in his life to talk less and listen more. Pingree relied on her critical thinking skills, zooming in and out of images to find a deeper meaning and perspective in selecting a photo to write about. She said, "I asked myself questions such as what is the picture communicating as a whole, or what could a specific aspect represent?" Even mathematics and the skilled use of equations played a role in the curation process. "Based on the total selection of photos and the size of the frames, we had to calculate how many photos belonged on each wall and how to evenly space them for a unified presentation," Maldonado said. A Perfect Match The curation of an a exhibit, and especially one of great prominence, has historically been assigned to a ists, a dealers, and museum directors, another reason why the student-curated Continued Relevance, which joins the Pace University A Gallery's impressive permanent collection, is so unique. The gallery, however, which was first established to encourage personal investigation and critical dialogue via thought-provoking a exhibits, is no stranger to both featuring student works and involving students in its exhibitions. Its first director, Cunningham, who is responsible for the rotation of exhibitions, managed the student image selection process of Continued Relevance, along with fellow professors Abergil and Zaslow. As a firsthand witness to students coming to the print study room in the student exhibition lab next to the gallery and poring carefully over the images, Cunningham was very much moved. "I really appreciated their thoroughness and curiosity. I got to know the collection more fully through their eyes," she said. As the university curator who manages the collection of a objects at Pace University, Kim de Beaumont, PhD, contends that Pace was an obvious choice to receive a donation of this nature and scope. She said, "It is a major university in New York City, with outstanding programs in a number of related disciplines, including media and communications, journalism, political science, a , and a history." A special connection between Pace President Marvin Krislov and George Stephanopoulos, however, was the icing on the cake. At a reception for Continued Relevance on December 7, 2022, Krislov revealed that he and the veteran news repo er are, in fact, old friends, having met at Oxford University in 1984 and maintaining a friendship since. Future Possibilities Since this first showing provides only a glimpse of the total collection that has been gi ed to Pace, nearly limitless future possibilities exist. Cunningham imagines an exhibit that focuses exclusively on an impo ant moment in US history, such as the civil rights movement, or, alternatively, one on news-making itself that highlights crop marks (tick marks positioned on the corners to indicate final trim) drawn with Wite-Out and red crayon and accompanied by wri en notes on the back of the images. Aptly named, Continued Relevance and other iterations from the full collection will serve as a living time capsule, offering powe ul perspective on how we can learn from the past to create a be er future.

Articles in this issue

view archives of Dyson College of Arts and Sciences - Dyson Year in Review 2022-23