Dyson College of Arts and Sciences

Dyson Year in Review 2022-23

Dyson College of Arts and Sciences

Issue link: http://dysoncollege.uberflip.com/i/1506322

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 5 of 31

D Y S O N Y E A R I N R E V I E W 2 0 2 2 – 2 0 2 3 4 Inside Dyson In pa nership with the Jefferson Awards Foundation, Pace engages in meaningful public service and celebrates those who improve the quality of life in their communities with the Jefferson Awards for Public Service and Multiplying Good. In the 2022–23 academic year, half of the Bronze Medal Award winners at Pace were from the Dyson College of A s and Sciences. And this year's Jefferson Award Finalist, selected by Multiplying Good's board of directors to represent Pace at their national ceremony in October, is Tresmaine R. Grimes, PhD, Dean of the Dyson College of A s and Sciences and the School of Education. We sat down with Dean Grimes to learn more about her volunteer work. How is this recognition meaningful to you? This is a tremendous honor. I lived most of my life with the idea that you are supposed to serve others or do something to give back. And you don't do those things thinking that someone is going to recognize you. That's so of the whole point—giving back to others in a way that you're not doing it for yourself, but to basically bless someone else's life. So this means the world to me that someone would think that the things I do are wo h recognizing. What aspect of your community and public service are you most proud of and why? Helping young people or children was always pa of my early life. Before I was even old enough to work legally, I was helping to take care of younger kids. By the time I got to college, I tutored as pa of my work-study, and that felt good to me. About a decade ago, I established a nonprofit that helps the faith community understand and get to the truth of domestic violence. I'm proud of that work and the fact that we have raised money to help people coming out of those situations and have even been recognized for this by the Robe Wood Johnson Foundation. On the academic side, I've enjoyed being a faculty advisor and mentor to my students since my first teaching days. When my students, who are now professionals with their own lives and careers, still keep in touch, that's a nice reminder that what I did was wo h it. My sorority, Delta Sigma Theta, is dedicated to serving the public and community. Whether it is feeding the hungry or raising money for scholarships, those things continue to mean a great deal to me now and in my own personal life. As dean of Dyson College and the School of Education, what have your observations been regarding the impo ance of public service at Pace? One of the nicest things about being at Pace is seeing what people are doing outside of the classroom, and both Dyson and the School of Education (SOE) have tremendous faculty and student involvement in community service. We're working very hard to make sure that our students have that civic engagement experience. I see faculty involved in a lot of community work as well: a ists and writers taking their classes into the community, for example, and making an impact there. So we have a lot of really exciting people in both Dyson and SOE, and I will also say, the Sands College of Pe orming A s, because our faculty there are also involved in the larger community. Everybody has their niche and their way to connect. It's also exciting to see us writing grants to try to connect with our folks in New York City and in our neighborhoods. Who inspired you to volunteer? I think because I grew up in a faith community, there was always the assumption that you don't just sit around, you give. Ce ainly, my mom and grandmother were always giving. My grandmother was a wonde ul cook; my grandparents were immigrants from the Caribbean, and my grandmother would make traditional foods and give them to people at Christmas instead of buying gi s. My mom was a musician and would play in church and for people at their weddings, and my mother's brother was a social worker, helping people make positive changes in their lives. They weren't looking for anything in return. So I grew up around that. Do you have any advice on first steps for those interested in making a positive impact and improving the lives of others? Follow your hea . What are the things that interest you? What is your passion? Also, what are the things that you see are missing in the world? Sometimes we are looking for other people to fill gaps, but maybe you're the only one who sees that, right? So sta small with the things that you notice are missing. And you don't have to do this by yourself. Pa ner with others; they will be happy to have your help, and you can learn from them, too. I a ended workshops about domestic violence and human trafficking through Not on My Watch, a training program for faith leaders. It was something I was grateful to be a pa of, because I learned a lot about human trafficking, areas where girls were at risk, and how to spot this in our own communities. So begin to think about how you can be a positive impact. There are so many ways you can make a difference. Dean Grimes Honored as National Jefferson Award Finalist Dean Tresmaine R. Grimes, PhD

Articles in this issue

view archives of Dyson College of Arts and Sciences - Dyson Year in Review 2022-23